Top 23 Source Code Repository Hosts
by Olivia Glenn-Han, on Dec 3, 2019 11:15:00 AM
Most modern shops have a version control system in place, but not everyone knows the importance of having the right repository host. With only a version control system, your company is getting less than it could with the enhancements provided by a repository host, reducing your competitive edge. We’ve assembled a list of source code repository hosts so that you can find the right tool for your company and teams.
This list is in alphabetical order.
1. AWS CodeCommit
* Looking for how to integrate AWS with BuildMaster? It's right here.
AWS CodeCommit is a source-control service that hosts secure Git-based repositories, making it easy for teams to collaborate on code while keeping it secure.
- Automatically scales, eliminating the new to host, maintain, scale, or backup own source control servers
- Encourages collaboration on code by allowing workflows to be implemented that include code reviews and feedback systems
- Speeds up the development lifecycle by allowing developers to commit incremental changes instead of an entire application
2. Azure Repos
* Looking for how to integrate Azure DevOps with BuildMaster? It's right here.
Azure Repos by Microsoft Azure DevOps provides private and unlimited Git repository hosting in the cloud.
- Encourages collaboration and more effective code reviews by offering threaded discussions and Continuous Integration for every change
- Protects the integrity of code by requiring code reviewer sign-off and code to pass tests before being merged
- Integrates seamlessly with Azure Pipelines to offer a fully functional CI/CD system
Backlog by Nulab is a project management tool that provides repositories in Git to minimize bugs and conflicts through code review.
- Provides visibility into the progress of a project through Burndown Charts, Git Graphs, and Gantt Charts
- Offers all-encompassing records of changes for visibility, audits, and easy version roll-back
- Allows for comments on pull requests to facilitate discussions and encourage collaboration
Beanstalk offers Git and SVN hosting without a client requirement and offers a complete workflow to write, review, and deploy code.
- Allows deployment configurations to be customized for each environment and can instantly deploy code anywhere
- At-a-glance code review statistics provide total visibility to your team and to auditors
- Available access restrictions and two-step verification secures your repository and ensures only certain people have control over code
This popular solution by Atlassian provides a unified platform for team collaboration and Git code management.
- Ensures secure workflows by restricting access to certain users and controlling certain actions and permissions
- Offers clear tutorials for Bitbucket and Git, making the tool easy to use
- Offers one platform to manage the entire development workflow
Buddy is a Continuous Deployment tool that works in tandem with Git, allowing users to sign up for free with their existing account.
- Provides Docker layer caching and repository caching
- Offers self-managed, open-source, and cloud-based solutions to meet your business needs
- Releases new features every week, to fully maximize the capabilities of the tool
CloudForge by CollabNet is a tool used for Version Control hosting on Git and bug & issue tracking.
- Allows issues to be created, ranked, and assigned across a defined workflow
- Provides security to code by allowing users and permissions to be defined
- Offers a robust community for collaboration through wikis, discussion forums, and documentation management
Offering public, private, proxy repositories and more, CloudRepo is a Maven- and Python-primary host that increases productivity in software engineering teams by fully managing remote repositories.
- Hosts repositories across multiple servers to make sure access to repositories is available, even if a server goes down
- Provides security by offering user management, access control, and SSLs
- Ensures repository servers are not overloaded by automatically scaling as needed
Codebase is a flexible solution for your code repository, providing project management capabilities with hosting on Git, Mercurial, and Subversion.
- Offers the ability to deploy repositories straight to servers with full repository browsing functionality
- Customize your workflow with statues, priorities, tickets, and assignments
- Features exception tracking to notify teams any time a new bug is identified, and finds solutions using full back-traces and request and session parameters
CodeGiant is a tool used to support engineering teams from development to deployment through issue tracking, hosted Git repositories, and Continuous Integration—all in one platform.
- Uses a Web IDE that sits on top of each Git repository to increase performance speed, encourage collaboration, and facilitate higher quality code
- Offers both Kanban and Scrum issue tracking templates
- Features built-in Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery that allows teams to easily define and orchestrate automated deployments
FusionForge is a tool used to help teams manage their entire development lifecycle.
- Encourages collaboration by providing mailing lists and message forums
- Automatically creates repositories, on CVS or Subversion, and controls access depending on needs of the project
- Offers a customizable tool through several plugin options
* Looking for how to integrate Git with BuildMaster? It's right here.
The enormously popular Git was originally created for Linux, but it now works across operating systems. Naturally, it does not natively work with other SCM tools.
- Uses a unique branching model to allow frictionless context switching, role-based code lines, experimentation, and feature-based workflow
- Provides multiple backups so that there is no single point of failure within Git
- Provides an intermediate “staging area” for commits to be formatted and reviewed before publishing
* Looking for how to integrate GitHub with BuildMaster? It's right here.
Arguably the most popular Git host, GitHub (recently acquired by Microsoft) supports everything from pull requests to notifications (in-app and via email) even to Emojis.
- Ensures visibility into code changes by allowing users to browse commits, comments, and references related to a pull-request
- Allows comments to be bundled into one cohesive review so that the number of notifications are reduced
- Promotes the merging of high quality code through user permissions, protected branches, and required status checks
* Looking for how to integrate GitLab with BuildMaster? It's right here.
GitLab is a full DevOps solution, not just a source code repository host. Its Git-based SCM increases efficiency to maximize productivity.
- Makes security a priority by shifting “left” to catch issues earlier in the process
- Simplifies the toolchain by decreasing the need for plug-ins and integrations by offering a complete DevOps platform
- Increases delivery velocity by providing lifecycle metrics and value stream insights throughout the software delivery lifecycle
Gogs or “Go Git Service,” is an open-sourced Git-based host that works with any Go-compatible OS.
- Lightweight enough to run on Raspberry Pi or a NAS device
- Integrates with Slack to facilitate teamwork and communication
- Can ship to tools like Docker for ease-of-use across tools
16. Helix4Git and Helix TeamHub (formerly Deveo)
These solutions by Perforce help teams solve their development challenges while using their favorite Git tools such as GitLab, GitHub, and Bitbucket.
- Enables faster performance by allowing teams to store their Git code, large binary files, and digital assets in the Perforce server
- Decreases delays that usually occur during pushing new code by allowing everyone to work on the same codebase, using the latest version
- Helps organizations scale as needed by providing support for large binary files
Kallithea is a free and open-source tool that supports the version control systems Mercurial and Git.
- Authenticates and logs all pull requests so administrators can review users’ activity
- Easily integrates into your existing system by supporting LDAP
- Allows contributions to code to be made on-line through their web-editor
This repository host by Phacility supports SVN, Git, and Mercurial, making it a flexible, scalable solution for organizations to discuss, plan, code, review, and test their applications.
- Integrates with Herald to provide post-commit auditing and pre-commit code review for extra coverage
- Uses Maniphest to plan features, track bugs, and award tokens
- Hosts Git, Mercurial, and Subversion repositories with Diffusion to scale to multiple servers and host repositories locally while observing repositories hosted elsewhere
Planio is a tool for organizations to manage projects, track issues, and sync files.
- Hosts both Subversion and Git and offers unlimited repositories with multiple integrations
- Offers configurable task management capabilities in both tradition and agile approaches, which helps keep organizations productive with time-tracking and integrated workflows and road-maps
- Increases visibility and collaboration in the workplace through communication via project blogs, message forums, and intra-function commenting
RhodeCode is an open-source code management system that offers centralized control for repositories such as Mercurial, Git, and Subversion, all in a single dashboard.
- Offers “behind-the-firewall” security to ensure code is extremely well-protected
- Improves code quality and collaboration through code reviews with the ability to discuss and manage source code changes
- Manages assets with permission control capabilities and provides audit and compliance reports
Based in Debian, TurnKey work closest with GNU/Linux and is a free and open-source tool for web development, content management, and issue tracking.
- Provides daily automatic updates to ensure the tool is always secure and easy to maintain
- Offers a robust community that ensures ease-of-use
- Offers one-click backup and restore capabilities to save changes to files, databases, and package management
Hosting Mercurial, Git, and Subversion, Versionshelf helps manage, use, and inspect repositories to keep everything safe and teams working effectively.
- Keeps a log of commits so changes can be easily found in the browser
- Offers triggers for the deployment process or for automatic backups to local repositories
- Syntax highlighting supports over 50 languages to ensure perfect presentation of code
An enterprise-grade solution, XP-Dev hosts Git, Mercurial, Trac, Project, and Subversion, making it highly versatile as a project management tool.
- Prioritizes security with real-time backups and a secure infrastructure
- Reduced latency by securing your cloud-based repositories in one of four (soon to be seven) geographical locations
- Offers Agile project management for an easy view of how a project is progressing
Enable DevOps Collaboration with the Right Source Code Repository Host
Your teams need a reliable repository host to keep everyone on the same page, keep them communicating effectively, and keep them working efficiently.
Inedo DevOps tools maximize developer time, minimize release risk, and empower stakeholders to bring their vision to life faster. All with the people and technology you have right now.