Top Continuous Delivery Tools
by Nikki Gannon, on Jul 26, 2019 10:00:00 AM
Understanding the lifecycle of an application and how to efficiently and effectively release applications is a vitally important concept for developers. Oftentimes, development projects are poorly managed and fail. However, there are a variety of tools available to development teams that help them to automate their processes through continuous deployment. The tools covered in this article are some popular tools that teams today are currently using.
Jenkins is an open source automation server that implements continuous delivery. It supports languages such as Python, Ruby, Java, Android, and C/C++.
Jenkins works as a standalone CI server. You can use it to automate a variety of tasks such as building, testing, delivering, and deploying software. This allows you to optimize your development process and save time.
- Hosted internally
- Be quickly installed and configured
- Distribute work across multiple machines
- Integrate with many CI/CD tools.
Travis CI automates your testing and release processes. It also integrates with GitHub so that you can test your code on the go. With Travis CI, your code can also run smoothly with its bilingual support.
- Open source project on GitHub
- Bilingual support
- Automated pull request verification
TeamCity is a CI server solution for environments created by JetBrains. It supports languages such as Java, Android, and C/C++.
TeamCity supports modern software stacks and platforms. Its pre-built installers allow users to get started in minutes. Favorite features include the ability to reuse settings to avoid duplicating code and version control.
- Full support for Key integrations
- Keeps a history of builds with detailed reports
- Can reuse settings to avoid duplicating your code
CircleCI automates build, test, and deployments processes by running each jog in a separate container. Once the testing is complete, users will receive a notification of whether the test was a success or failure. CircleCI does integrate with tools such as AWS, Google Cloud, and others.
- Can run tests in parallel by spreading them across multiple machines
- Workflows that increase the speed of software development
- Can monitor CircleCI installation for various environment variables
Codeship favors speed, efficiency, and simplicity. This is executed by testing, building, and deploying directly from your GitHub project. Codeship supports languages such as Go, Java, Node.js, and more.
Codeship has a one-click sign up for GitHub, GitLab, and Bitbucket where you can then test, build, and deploy your projects. It is a customizable tool that includes Docker instance supports. Codeship has a simple UI and config file management, making it easy for you to set up your workflows and get them going.
- Deployment pipeline configuration
- Native Docker support
- Simple configuration file management
- Simple UI to set up workflows
Gitlab is a code management platform within a single dashboard. It contains tools for continuous integration, deployments, issue management, and code views. It supports multiple programming languages including Go and Ruby.
GitLab provides a Git-repository to manage your CI/CD pipelines. It provides high visibility and efficiency to help improve the speed of business.
- Granular user roles and flexible permissions.
- Multiple integrations with tools such as ALM, PLM, Agile and automation tools.
- Custom version tests
- Program in any language
Buddy is a simple tool that automates development without complexity. Node.js, Angular, Rails, Python and a few others are the programming languages that Buddy supports.
Buddy lets users build and ship web projects automatically. You can easily create your own release process from builds and tests to deployments.
- Automated delivery via flexible pipelines
- Customizable platform to automate deployments, set up monitoring, and launch containers
- Deploys to your cloud and hosting providers.
Wercker is an efficient platform to automate builds and deployments. Given its container-specific and cloud-native features, teams can test and deploy their applications with ease. This helps to eliminate errors along the pipeline.
- Leverages Docker containers
- Builds run concurrently within pipelines
- Ease of connection between workflows and pipelines
Semaphore’s cloud-based CI/CD platform allows teams to be aware of bugs and errors before it reaches users’ attention. The tool automates your tests, so you can quickly push out new code changes
- Customizable tests
- Custom security tests
- Custom pull requests from GitHub and Bitbucket
10. Predix CI
Predix CI is a continuous delivery platform that replaced Solano CI. The tool allows developers to efficiently and reliably build, test and deploy applications. Common programming languages supported by Predix CI include C, C++, C#, Go, Java, and Python.
Predix’s core concept is their pipeline which helps to implement CI/CD in a cloud environment. The Predix pipeline runs builds and artifacts through environments that you configure when the pipeline runs.
- Deployment pipelines to manage the release process
- Integrates with existing tools
- Supports deployment model of Docker, Kubernetes, and Cloud Foundry
AppVeyor is a tool that continuously tests and deploys apps to on-premise or cloud environments. The tool is Windows native and supports languages such as Node.js, Xamarin, Python, Ruby, C++, and Go.
AppVeyor allows users to safely store project artifacts and deploy application packages to a cloud with various providers. Users can update the status pull requests, upload build artifacts, and deploy successful builds.
- All infrastructure is provided by AppVeyor
- Isolated build environments
- Continuous delivery platform
Assertible is a platform that provides tools and services to ensure that your data is correct along with the uptime and availability of your websites and APIs. Java, Python, and Go are some of the languages that Assertible supports.
Assertible’s infrastructure allows users to monitor their apps, API’s and websites and implement continuous testing. The platform contains a set of features that promote safe testing environments.
- Automatic testing when new changes are deployed to staging or production
- Simple deployment process
- Custom alerts for failed tests
Shippable supports multiple tools and technologies that teams use for their builds, tests, and deployments. Shippable’s custom CI/CD platforms allow teams to applications into production faster.
- Platform combines continuous integration, automation, and deployment
- Can get up and running within minutes
- Testing and code coverage custom reports
Nevercode is a cloud-based CI/CD server that automates builds, testing, and deployments. The tool us used to speed up the process of distributing mobile applications. Common languages supported include Java, Python, and a few others.
Nevercode is a highly flexible and reliable platform that doesn’t require human personnel assistance. By replacing manual processes with complete automation, users can distribute their mobile applications quickly.
- Automated build process
- Automated testing
- Automatic configuration and setup
Bamboo is a CI server that automates the release process for applications. The tool is suitable for any language and integrates with other technologies such as Docker, AWS, and others.
Bamboo automates builds, tests, and deployments, all of which can be tied together in a single workflow. The tool gives developers a chance to spend more time improving their products.
- Works with any stack and coding language
- Customizable deployments
- Detailed code history
GoCD an open-source continuous delivery server that automates the build, test, and release process. It supports multiple languages including Python and Ruby.
GoCD allows users to see the entire path an application goes through. Users can also troubleshoot any broken pipeline in real time. GoCD does integrate with a lot of popular tools as well.
- End to end visualization
- Cloud native deployments
- Analyze and troubleshoot broken pipelines
PHPCI is an open source continuous integration tool designed for PHP developers. The tool ensures that applications pass each test before deployment.
PHPCI is meant for PHP developers. This tool helps PHP developers test their applications with demo environments to ensure applications are ready for deployment.
- Can create a demo environment for tests
- Custom plugin support
Distelli is a continuous delivery automation tool that was acquired by Puppet. The tool specialized in Kubernetes deployments either on premise or cloud.
Distelli is known for its cluster management dashboard. This allows teams to build and connect their Kubernetes clusters from anywhere.
- Easy to set up
- Works with any server
- Easily group servers into environments
FinalBuilder allows you to simplify your build process using its visual interface. This interface is straightforward for users to easily set up their builds.
- Custom build reports
- Contains a library of predefined actions for automation
- Integrates use of Windows scheduling
Hudson is a Java written continuous integration tool that simplifies the process of setting up configurations and builds.
Hudson supports SCM tools and can execute Apache Ant and Apache Maven based projects. It also executes Windows batch commands.
- Simple web interface
- Distributes build/test loads to multiple containers
- Integrates with other build, testing, security, and code analysis software
Buildkite automates the delivery process no matter what toolchain, environment, or toolchain. The tool allows users to easily and quickly build, test and deploy their applications.
Buildkite helps users to create scalable continuous integration pipelines on their own servers. This gives teams an easy way to create a CI environment that’s self-hosted.
- Supports a variety of languages and toolchains
- Native support for Docker, Windows, OS X, and Unix
- Build powerful logs
- Ability to customize any part of the build process
CruiseControl is a framework that allows users to create a custom and visible continuous build process. The tool is written in Java but supports a variety of programming languages.
CruiseControl’s dashboard allows users to view build details. The tool overall improves the software development process through its dashboard and plugins.
- JSP reporting for build results
- Customizable build loops for build cycles
- GUI interface
Integrity is a continuous integration server. The tool publishes new commits as soon as code is built, tested, and verified.
Integrity is easy to navigate and use. The process to get the tool up and running is simple and speeds up the process to publish new commits.
- Custom notifications
- Deploys with Unicorn and Thin. It also supports Reverse Proxy web servers
QuickBuild is a build automation and management tool that helps to implement CI/CD. The tool also acts as a central repository for build artifacts.
QuickBuild gives teams the ability to create customs scripts to manage override rules. It also allows teams to improve their deployment workflows with a variety of variables.
- Work design and build setup
- Build grid and cloud integration
- Test and code quality reporting
UrbanCode is a popular tool for teams that have complex builds that require a specific integration of tools. UrbanCode contains a wide variety of plugins and integrations for teams to manage their build infrastructure.
UrbanCode is used to automate parts of the application lifecycle such as CI builds, tests, deployments, or any other processes. This eases configuration management and build infrastructures.
- Project templates to manage a range of configurations
- Global reporting that stores all data history
- Customizable and plugs into a wide variety of tools
Gump uses projects’ most current development version for each build and compile. The project team then receives notifications once a change is detected.
- Compiles software against most recent development versions of the projects
- Python written
- Notifications for failed builds
- Nightly builds
Chef is an automation platform that works in the cloud, hybrid environments, or on-premises. The tool is written in Erlang and Ruby and supports a variety of other languages.
Chef transforms infrastructure into code through automation. This changes how your infrastructure is managed, deployed, and configured.
- Easily transfer applications between cloud locations
- Automates coded in infrastructure with tools from an in-build development kit
- Control cloud and physical servers in a multi-manageable capacity
Strider is an open source CI/CD platform that enables the creation of custom testing servers. It supports languages such as Node.js, Ruby, and Python.
Strider uses MongoDB as a basking store. It also connects with GitHub, GitLab, and Bitbucket for automated tests.
- Can code own plugins or use existing plugins to enhance features
- Deploys to Heroku for CD
- Clear documentation via extensive internal API
Buildbot is a Python build CI/CD testing framework. It is a job scheduling system that concludes automated tests and builds and supports multiple languages.
Buildbot automatically rebuilds and tests code to make sure problems are detected quickly. This allows teams to reduce the amount of errors and improve code quality.
- Run builds from a variety of workers
- Custom notifications for build status
- Real-time build watch capability
BuildMaster is a CI/CD tool used by teams to automate their release processes. It is a web-based tool that is easy to set up and use. BuildMaster supports a variety of programming languages and integrates with a lot of other tools.
BuildMaster creates a reliable and repeatable release process through customizable pipelines. Teams can manage their own applications and deploy to their own environments.
- Release on time. Not on personal time. Meet deadlines without the night and weekend release that kill employee morale and risk your best people leaving
- Use Developer time to write code. Not reverse engineer release history. Match builds while working on multiple releases simultaneously, across all your applications.
- Make decisions based on requirements, not release cycles. Reduce release overhead by orders of magnitude and release on demand.
- Use CI/CD today, even with legacy applications. Benefit from CI/CD without replacing your current stack.
Puppet is an open source platform that configures Unix and Windows systems. It integrates with other tools and supports languages such as C++, Clojure, and Ruby.
Puppet allows teams to manage their servers and their configurations, so developers can operate and deliver software regardless of origin.
- Thousands of free-to-use modules for rapid development
- Jenkins and Git integrations for automation
- Compliance based security principles
VSTS is a platform that allows teams to plan, code, and deploy their applications in a more efficient manner. The platform supports any language and integrates with other popular tools.
VSTS allows teams to plan smarter and collaborate better to release their applications on time. Teams can create a DevOps pipeline and get it running within minutes.
- Automated release pipelines
- Hosted builds
- Test and build commits before emerging code
33. Continua CI
Continua CI is a continuous integration server that gives users an interface that integrates with tools they already use. The tool is simple to use and get up and running.
Continua CI allows users to distribute their workflows over multiple agents. It also separates builds into different configurations.
- Automatically runs builds
- Groups configurations
- Easily find build errors
AccelQ is a platform that automates test design and execution for teams. It integrates with tools such as VSTS, Jira, TFS, and more.
AccelQ offers a visual mode where users can automate their builds and releases. Overall, the tool is simple to use and offers full support along with training.
- Full automation for application lifecycle
- Design-first approach
- Test management and planning
Meister is a DevOps continuous delivery tool that accelerates the build process. The platform is suitable for teams trying to adopt Agile methodologies that also have complex builds.
Meister accelerates the software compiles and linking processes used in continuous integration by automating builds.
- Accelerated builds
- Automatic dependency management and impact analysis
- Uses playbooks and multiple plugins
Vexor is a cloud based continuous integration service that integrates with your Bitbucket, GitLab, and GitHub projects. It supports languages such as Ruby, Clojure, Scala, Python, Node.js, Go, and Rust.
Vexor is easy to use and quick to set up. It allows users to set up the right continuous integration based off business needs.
- Pending and queued builds can be eliminated
- Integrates with GitHub, GitLab, and Bitbucket
Build on Docker, Drone.io is a continuous delivery platform that lets developers create customizable configurations. Drone.io supports a variety of programming languages including C++, Go, Java, Python, and many more.
Drone.io allows teams to create custom plugins with any provider they choose. It is simple to install and maintain.
- Version control support
- Configuration as code
- Container native
Buildout allows teams to create, assemble, and deploy applications from multiple parts. This is a Python-based build system but can still work with parts that are not Python-based.
Buildout is used for software assembly from development to deployment. Teams can run build tools to build software and apply software templates. These templates are used to generate scripts and configuration files.
- Build and deployment management
- Used for all software phases
EasyCIS is a platform that offers solutions to problems relating to builds, integrations, and management. The platform integrates with a variety of tools and is independent of development methodologies.
EasyCIS is a tool that is easy to use and simplifies the application development process. It supports CI builds, night builds, manual builds, and individual build strategies.
- No build scripts required
- Build artifacts can be automatically copied from dependent projects
- Uses project groups, dependency trees, and branch trees
Flosum is a solution for Salesforce that is for native release management. The platform is fully integrated with GIT and is extended and customized with Salesforce.
Flosum allows Salesforce developers to manage the lifecycles of their applications through the dashboards offered. It offers solutions for built-in merges, version control, continuous deployments, and more.
- Continuous integration for quicker releases
- Maintain compliance and governance through automated processes
- Track every change made in the delivery process
41. XL Deploy
XL Deploy commonly integrates with Jenkins to implement a consistent packaging and deployment process for applications. The tool combination allows users to gain control to automate and scale their deployments.
XL Deploy automates and standardizes complex deployments within the cloud, container, and legacy environments. This allows users to reduce errors and deployment failures.
- Automates and manages the deployment process
- Creates a repeatable process
- Integrates with existing tools
CodeFresh is a CI/CD platform that is Docker-native and built for Kubernetes. The tool allows users to instantly build, test, and deploy Docker images. CodeFresh supports languages such as Go, Java, Node.js, Python, and a few others.
CodeFresh reduces the complexity of deployments by allowing users to set up their own customizable deployment pipelines.
- Able to auto-deployment at the end of any build process
- Continuous integration and testing
MidVision Rapid Deploy lets teams create a library of external resources that they can access for use for future deployment projects. This allows teams to rapidly develop applications through automation.
- Automated processes for configurations and deployments
- Graphical pipeline to show and coordinate releases
- Graphical task flow editor that is simple to use
Cake allows teams to build their scripts in C# and is available on Windows, Linux, and macOS. It supports a lot of common tools including .NET Core, xUnit, NuGet, and many more.
Cake allows teams to compile code, copy files/folders, run unit tests, compress files, and build NuGet packages.
- Write builds in C#
- Multiple supports and integrations
- Available on OS X, Windows, and Linux
45. Magnum CI
Magnum CI is a CI/CD platform for private repositories. It integrates with GitHub, GitLab, and Bitbucket, and other tools.
Magnum CI eases the integration process with code hosting services. The tool allows users to customize their build process with their own commands.
- Supports popular languages and databases
- Automatically checks for code dependencies
- Sends alerts for out of date libraries or low code coverage
Buddybuild works with GitHub, Bitbucket, and GitLab to push applications. The tool allows mobile developers to have a single, seamless platform to release their applications.
- Actionable bug reports
- Workflows are customizable
- Effective mobile platform for iOS and Android
Phabricator is a tool that keeps a collection of web applications to help developers build better software. It supports Git, Mercurial, and SVN repositories.
Phabricator allows teams to access all applications needed for a project. From there, teams can code, review, and test from the same interface.
- Task management is customizable
- Audit source code
- Command line tools
Spinnaker is an open source, multi-cloud continuous delivery tool that allows teams to quickly and confidently release software. The tool integrates with a variety of other platforms including Jenkins and TravisCI.
Spinnaker is a safe, configurable tool that makes it easy to follow best practices to speed up development processes.
- Cluster management
- Deployment management
- Integrates with a variety of cloud providers, Jenkins, and Travis
Bitrise is a CI/CD platform that focuses on mobile application development. It comprises of dozens of integrations to help teams with their development and automation for their software projects.
Bitrise automates the testing and deployment of applications. Teams can also build their applications for any platform.
- Every build runs on its own virtual machine
- Workflows for every development stage
- Run same configurations locally
50. Octopus Deploy
Octopus Deploy is a build automation tool that works with your build server. It supports a variety of languages including PowerShell, Python, Bash, Ruby, C# and F#.
Octopus Deploy automates ASP.NET applications and Windows services. The tool eases the process of deploying applications either on-premises or in the cloud.
- Repeatable and reliable deployments
- Promote releases between environments
- Easy to use dashboard
Every tool listed in this post is used by a variety of large organizations to automate their processes. Inedo DevOps tools maximize developer time, minimize release risk, and empower stakeholders to bring their vision to life faster. All with the people and technology you have right now. To get help streamlining your CI/CD processes, click here.