Top 50 Enterprise Application Development Tools
by Nikki Gannon, on Aug 2, 2019 10:30:00 AM
Every day, development teams around the world build, test, and deploy complex and customized applications for business purposes. To help them build and deploy these applications, these teams need the best enterprise application development tools available.
To make it easy to find them, we researched the top 50 tools companies use to deploy their business applications and meet business needs across a variety of platforms.
The tool is an Agile system that lets users create their own workflows that match the way their team works. Teams can also access their releases and reports to ensure that they are deploying their applications confidently.
- Integrate with tools you already use
- Customizable workflows and dashboards
- Bugs and defect management to correct errors with code
GitHub is an open source development platform for teams to host and review code and manage their projects. This tool has a web-based and desktop interface that users can access
GitHub’s repository allows teams to access and control a number of collaboration features for every project. The tool integrates with a wide variety of other platforms and enhances collaborations within teams
- Built-in code review to ensure better code
- Built-in project management tools to stay coordinated and aligned with project goals and deadlines
- Keep all of your code in one place whether it is private, public, or open source
- Integrations with existing tools
3. Google Cloud Platform
Google Cloud Platform is a suite of cloud computing services that runs on the same infrastructure as Google. The platform can be used by software administrators, software developers, and other IT professionals for computing, storage, networking, big data, machine learning, and the Internet of things (IoT).
Google Cloud also offers security, cloud management, and developer tools. Teams can easily run their code in the cloud without the use of servers to prevision, manage, or update data.
- Utilize cloud functions to manage your infrastructure so you can focus on your code
- Underlying infrastructure scales in correlation with workload size
- Trigger code from any event on Google Cloud Platform, Firebase, and Google Assistant as well as any web, mobile, or back-end application
Azure is a set of cloud services that helps organizations meet business challenges related to the release process of applications. It gives teams the freedom to build, manage, and deploy their applications.
Azure lets teams migrate their applications or infrastructure to the cloud. This gives teams a chance to shift from the traditional on-premises approach.
- Migrate applications and infrastructure without changing existing code
- Increased security using key vault to store keys and secrets
- Real-time analytics reports for data ingestion and early error detection within code
- What is Azure?
- The 5 Enterprise-Grade Azure Features You Need to Know About: Azure Backup, Security, and More
- Azure Review
Bitbucket allows teams to plan, code, test, and deploy their applications in one place. The tool is known to integrate with Trello and Jira where teams can connect tasks to branches to code quickly.
Bitbucket enables teams to build quality software through collaboration with enhanced pull requests. CI/CD is built into the tool, which makes building, testing, and deploying applications easier.
- Distributed control system that encourages collaboration and scaling
- Option to host on-premise or in the cloud
- Unlimited amount of public and private repositories
- Integrates with leading business applications such as Bamboo and Jira
Plesk is a hosting platform to run, grow, and automate applications and sites. The tool also has a mobile application where users can make changes on the go.
Plesk also lets users build and manage sites from a single dashboard. Users can integrate Plesk with their current to enhance their development experience.
- Multiple security frameworks to set up site backup, spam detection, firewalls, and malware detection
- Multiple integrations and plugins for database management and development lifecycle
- Infrastructure security to secure applications, manage identities, and encrypt data
7. Anypoint Platform
Anypoint Platform allows teams to design, build, and manage their APIs and integrations within a single platform so teams can efficiently and effectively deploy their applications.
Anypoint is a flexible platform that helps teams to solve connectivity problems in a developer friendly way by increasing the speed of delivery. It also integrates with any on-premises or in-cloud application.
- Visual interface to set up and administer integrations without coding
- Proactive monitoring that detects threats with code quality early and alerts users
- Detailed records to show analytics and data changes
AppSheet is a platform that allows anyone to develop an application for business purposes. The platform is favorable for teams who want to create and deploy applications in real-time while not having limitations as to who can create the application.
AppSheet allows anyone on a team to make applications to deliver a robust feature set. Users from any experience level can choose to use the platform’s basic or advanced editors to design their applications.
- Basic and advanced application editors for users of any experience level
- App usage analytics to show effectiveness
- Real-time reporting to allow users to detect errors early for correction
9. Codenvy Developer Workspaces
Codenvy Developer Workspaces helps to automate developer bootstrapping and improve workflows. Teams can create customizable environments and the platform supports nearly every programming language and stack.
Codenvy offers a DevOps workspace where teams are able to program and customize their infrastructure. The tool also encourages collaboration with teams and automation.
- Total environment customization, as well as IDE and workflow control
- Build or debug any environment with Docker
- React to Code, keys, and plug-ins
10. IntelliJ IDEA
IntelliJ IDEA is designed to maximize developer productivity while still allowing developers to enjoy the experience. The tool includes support for Java 8 and Java EE.
InteliJ IDEA analyzes code and looks for connections between all files and languages. It then takes the information from the analysis and provides in depth feedback for developers to catch errors and work through any mistakes.
- Deep insight into code to provide coding assistance and error analysis
- Developer ergonomics to allow developers to make the most of their time
- Built-in developer tools to streamline workflows
GitLab’s platform allows users to keep track of the progress and activity of their projects from the build, test, and deployment stages. It also enables efficient project planning and source code management.
Teams can not only use it to implement an effective CI/CD process but can also effectively monitor their applications and increase security.
- Built-in CI/CD to build, test, deploy, and monitor code
- Preview changes with review apps with automatic live previews
- Multiple key integrations with existing CI/CD tools
12. Sublime Text
Sublime Text is a text editor for code, markup, and prose. This helps developers code without the limitations of programming language or framework.
The tool’s platform aids developers by highlighting text and allowing user to quickly move through a project’s documents. All platform features generate project class indexes so users can make changes easily.
- Split editing that allows users to edit files side by side
- Customize anything with simple JSON files
- Cross platform to allow availability for Mac, Windows, and Linux
OutSystems is a low-code, visual development platform that can still be used to create an application from start to finish. The tool easily integrates with other systems and is customizable.
The platform allows users to easily deploy applications with minimal risk using the tool’s integrated debugging tool to quickly detect vulnerabilities. Users can easily create reliable applications while utilizing DevOps automation.
- Full access control and permission management
- Real-time monitoring of all applications usage and performance
- Real-time reporting of all full access control and permission management
Docker enables teams to build, share, and securely run any application from any location using containers. It is designed for developers and system administrators and is part of the DevOps toolchain.
Docker containers allow developers to package their application with all the parts it needs to run, giving developers peace of mind that their applications will run correctly.
- Easy and fast configuration to deploy code with less time and effort
- Security management to save secrets and limit who has access
- Increases developer productivity by easing technical configuration and rapid deployments
Twilio is a communications platform that helps developers to engage in various forms of communication using its web service APIs. The tool helps to bridge the gap between conventional communication by utilizing cloud communication via audio/video conferencing, calls, messaging, and fax management.
Developers often use Twilio’s APIs to add communication capabilities to their applications. The tool gives developers everything they need to build and deliver new and positive customer experiences through collaboration, project and status tracking, and code debugging.
- API call and SMS integration
- Complete communications system directly out-of-the-box with full feature capabilities
- Ruby, PHP, Pearl, Java, and many other languages supported
16. Lightning Platform
Lightning Platform is a suite of tools such as Force, Heroku Enterprise, and Lightning that lets users quickly build enterprise applications and integrate their current tools. The tool can also be used to build Android and iOS applications.
Lighting Platform’s suite of tools makes it easy for users to build applications with minimal coding knowledge. Teams can easily learn the skill set required to develop applications and learn while they are
- Low-code application builder
- Reduced complexity and streamlined process for application development
- Learning tools within platform to help users learn to build applications and build on their skills
- Salesforce Really, Really Wants Admins to Build Apps on its Salesforce Lightning Platform
- About Lightning Platform
Heroku is used by developers to deploy, manage, and scale their modern applications. It is a container-based cloud platform that is flexible and easy to use.
Heroku supports modern open source languages so developers can use what their application needs. The tool has a variety of features that enhance the developer experience with control, collaboration, and compliance when developing and deploying their applications.
- Built-in suite for metrics
- Run your applications inside smart containers to manage run-time environments
- Utilizes Heroku pipelines and GitHub integrations for continuous delivery
18. Zoho Creator
Zoho Creator allows businesses to create web tools using their online application builder. The tool eliminates security and up-time worries by making sure that data is protected, backed up, and regularly updated.
Zoho Creator allows teams to create custom forms, configure workflows, and get their apps running in minutes. The tool simplifies everyday tasks and complex process automation.
- Data security allows for users to set up encryption or firewalls to prevent unwanted parties from accessing data
- Lifecycle management allows users to manage applications and their maintenance all the way throughout the application development lifecycle
- Real-time process monitoring allows users to monitor and manage tasks throughout the process
BuildFire gives teams the capability to develop high-end applications using its intuitive DIY platform. The tool is used to build iOS and Android applications and is very flexible and customizable.
BuildFire’s drag and drop editor makes it easy for all users to build their applications from start to finish. This gives anybody on a team the opportunity to create and take control of an application without any bottlenecks.
- Endless customization with low code development
- Real time updates to ensure the quality of code
- Multiple integrations with other platforms
Ninox gives teams the capability to move into a customizable, collaborative platform. Teams can automate their application build and release process using this tool.
Teams can build custom apps using a drag and drop editor. The release process can be completely automated with various triggers, action buttons, and control structures.
- Drag and drop editor to build custom applications
- Follow up on workflows and collaboration
- Create reports and visualize data to help ensure the building of reliable and safe applications
PHPRunner is another low code application building platform that allows teams to quickly and easily release enterprise applications. It is often used to solve complex development issues and to build prototypes as well.
PHPRunner creates database-driven web applications using its code generator and templating engine. The tool is fully customizable and includes a variety of features that can be utilized to build and deploy an application.
- Full customization to create applications
- Access controls/permissions for application security
- Mobile and application development options
Rollbar catches code errors before your users do. The tool supports all major languages and frameworks. It also integrates with the tools you currently use.
Rollbar pinpoints broken code and collects a variety of data and reports where the errors were and why the code broke. When it detects broken code, it notifies software teams that an error occurred. This helps software teams to detect issues and to effectively distribute tasks.
- Detection, diagnosis, and debugging to ensure quality code
- Monitor errors in real time so you can fix what matters in minutes
- Increased deployment frequency by allowing teams to get through QA faster
23. Stackify Retrace
Stackify Retrace was designed to help development teams improve the quality of their applications throughout all the development stages. Stackify Retrace was designed with the needs of developers in mind and how they want their application performance monitoring solution to function.
The tool helps developers monitor and troubleshoot problems within their applications. It combines APM, transaction tracing, metrics, logs, errors, and alerts that make up the monitoring solution that developers use.
- Find bugs during development and QA
- Monitor deployments & production performance
- Troubleshoot production problems
24. Datadog Cloud Monitoring
Datadog Cloud Monitoring gives developers observability within any stack and application. Datadog provides end-to-end visibility across infrastructures and helps teams to ensure application up time and go-to-market efforts.
Built for hybrid cloud environments, Datadog Cloud Monitoring improves agility, efficiency, and visibility within teams. It helps teams to ensure the efficiency by monitoring for performance problems and alerting teams if errors are detected.
- Build real-time interactive dashboards
- Receive alerts if critical issues arise
- See across systems, services, and applications
25. Apache NetBeans
Apache NetBeans contains a variety of features that can be utilized to create files and use various databases. NetBeans also shows errors in code and provides clues on how to fix the errors.
- Shows coding errors and handles debugging
- Mobile and web app development
- Manages application builds and deployments
JDeveloper is a Java-based application development environment. The tool is designed to increase developer productivity by providing tools to ease the application development and deployment process.
JDeveloper provides multiple tools and a multi-layer framework. This enables developers to use declarative and visual editors to make coding easier and quicker.
- Full lifecycle management so users can have complete control of their application from build to production
- Visual and declarative editors to ease the definition of elements and edit the application from its coding document
- Drag-and-drop editor to bring application design elements into place easily
Kintone's cost effective solution enables teams to create custom workflows and manage business data in one place with minimal to no coding. Teams can build and deploy enterprise applications with or without coding.
Kintone’s drag and drop editor allows teams to create and customize their applications. Teams can choose to completely automate their application lifecycle and collaborate to improve applications as well.
- Convert static spreadsheets into dynamic databases
- Streamline workflows to keep everybody on track
- Drag-and-drop editor that allows you to quickly build applications
Knack's database builder gives companies the ability to create customized web applications using a no-code builder. Teams can also share, manage, and analyze their data using Knack.
Knack’s interface is simple to use which gives users the ability to create business-specific applications with a minimal learning curve. The tool also gives teams complete control of their processes within their databases.
- Complete customization to build databases that fit your needs
- Reporting & analytics to show performance indicators to identify vulnerabilities
- Easily connect data together with fast searches and flexible filters
CircleCI gives teams the ability to be fully confident with the code they build. The tool gives developers the ability to focus on creating applications that deliver business value at a quicker rate.
CircleCI utilizes continuous integration and an automated delivery platform to build, test, and release applications safely and quickly. The tool integrates with a variety of other platforms including GitHub, Bitbucket, and GitHub Enterprise.
- Supports any language that build on Linux or macOS
- Complete control, customization, and flexibility of your applications
- Automated testing and deployments to make the application lifecycle more efficient
WaveMaker gives teams the ability to develop applications quicker with its low-code platform. Teams can streamline their workflows and speed up their processes to increase productivity while limiting coding complications.
WaveMaker is easy to use and gives teams the opportunity to produce applications specific to business needs without wasting resources. The tool is versatile for those who deploy in the cloud or on-premises.
- API and Web services integrations
- Customizable and flexible to business needs
- Integrates with CI/CD pipelines for efficiency
- Security for your applications and data
31. Zoho Sprints
Zoho Sprints gives Scrum teams the ability to manage their projects in an Agile manner. Teams can plan and track their projects to ensure they are delivered on time.
Zoho Sprints is set up so users can set up a project and invite team members, assign roles, build backlogs, and commence sprints. This gives teams the ability to track project progress and prioritize tasks to ensure that applications are being developed correctly and on time.
- Know where each task stands and overview projects
- Flexible and customizable for team and business needs
- Reporting and analytics to track application progress
LeanKit's project management platform gives teams the ability to collaborate and visualize their processes. Using this tool, developers can see where improvements can be made throughout the application lifecycle.
Supporting Lean principles, LeanKit visualizes workflows and shows the process through Kanban boards. Teams can define and evolve their processes based on their requirements.
- Define, visualize, plan, and structure your process for your needs
- Visually track and manage workflows for efficiency
- Analyze and report on your data to review application performance
Webix’s toolkit gives developers the ability to efficiently develop complex and dynamic cross-platform applications. The tool contains a lot of built-in features for the development of modern applications.
- Source control to monitor changes
- Access controls and permissions for efficiency and code quality
- Mobile and web app development capabilities
34. Hosted Graphite
Hosted Graphite visually the performance of your software and servers using graphs and dashboards. Users can receive alerts if issues with data arise and they can share reports with their teams.
Hosted Graphite’s reports and graphs show teams the health and performance of their applications, servers, websites, and containers. Geared towards automation, the tools alerting feature gives teams a visual of where issues occur and how to best resolve them.
- Automatic data aggregation to send data more frequently
- Metrics to monitor performance and trends of code
- Control your monitoring with APIs
Netlify utilizes continuous deployment that lets users build, host, and maintain their applications or websites. The tool is open source and contains a variety of customizable features for teams to manage apps and websites.
Users of Netlify can quickly connect their custom domains and get sub-domains. It also contains an extensive number of features to deploy static sites from a codebase or build pipeline.
- Customize projects with your own microservices or build tools
- Single, simplified workflow to increase efficiency
- Run sites on purpose-built, multi-cloud infrastructure
GeneXus gives teams a simple and fast way to build and deploy applications to run on any browser and mobile device platform from a single source. Teams can use this to incorporate changes quickly and keep maintenance costs low for legacy systems.
GeneXus enables teams to create applications at the same time and adapt to evolving technologies. They can also streamline all parts of the application development process using the automatic app generation capability.
- Agile development platform to adapt and publish software effortlessly
- Automatic software and database generation
- Integrates with existing and external systems or develop a new system
Mendix's low-code platform gives organizations the opportunity to build robust applications with minimal to no coding. This helps teams release more applications that correlate with business needs by speeding up the development cycle.
Mendix integrates with any system or cloud service so teams can build on top of existing databases and utilize other existing tools. They can also implement CI/CD using modeling and testing and built-in automation.
- Drag-and-drop editor to visually model applications
- Multiple integrations and purpose-built IDEs for code efficiency
- Model-driven development to ensure CI/CD automation
Intellimas is a fully featured configuration engine that enables teams to build a wide variety of enterprise applications. It is designed for those who mainly do work using spreadsheets that want more functionality and capabilities.
Intellimas implements spreadsheet data into a single system and integrates into existing workflows and methodologies. This helps users to enhance productivity and efficiency when building enterprise applications.
- Advanced configuration for efficient security and data management
- Advanced reporting to gain insights on infrastructure and applications
- Flexible and customizable for views and searches to retrieve data
Buddy's CI/CD platform enables developers to build, test, and deploy applications and websites with a single click. The tool integrates with GitHub, GitLab, and Bitbucket projects.
Buddy offers an automation experience that does not require an advanced knowledge requirement. Integrating with multiple tools, users can automate their processes with just a few steps.
- Workflow management to create templates, export, and import pipelines
- Integrations with first-class tools such as GitHub, Bitbucket, Azure, and many other tools
- Tracks code changes and deploys only what has changed
Verj.io’s low-code platform enhances the speed and delivery of applications by leveraging the power of cloud technology. This helps to remove a variety of technical difficulties and challenges that developers often experience.
Verj.io is suited for developers of all experience levels. Its UI helps developers easily build applications and automate their processes.
- Deploy your applications quickly either on-premise or to the cloud
- Establish points of contact between applications, external systems, and data sources
- Implement a component-based software development approach
InstaDB’s online application builder enables teams to create applications with minimal coding. Teams can develop a wide variety of business applications with various complexities.
InstaDB is an online application builder that contains many built-in tools to help with the build process. The tool enables teams to build their cloud databases using these built-in tools.
- Change tracking to document who makes what changes and when
- Advanced filtering to ensure all data is automatically filtered
- Access control to maintain who can make code changes and grant permissions
OptimumHQ allows businesses to create workflows for their organizations with low to no code. Teams can create enterprise-ready solutions to help solve their business problems using this tool
Optimum HQ allows teams to automate their configuration process, allowing them to not worry about managing servers, stacks, scalability, or security.
- Customize automated workflows to fit your business needs
- Reporting and analytics to help you see where you can improve efficiency
- Remain in control of business operations remotely
Skuid’s no-code platform enables teams to design and deploy their applications quickly. Users can connect to existing data sources to create valuable user experiences.
Skuid is cloud based and enables businesses to create an automated build, test, and release process by eliminating lengthy development cycles. The tool automates your processes to increase efficiency and save time.
- Data integration that allows users to unify data in one place
- App templates to accelerate development and build applications with no code
- Multiple integrations with existing tools
OpenShift was designed by RedHat to allow developers to quickly develop, host, and scale applications in the cloud. Users can utilize the tool for their open source, online, and on-premise projects.
OpenShift enables teams to automate their release process in a public cloud environment. Developers can build their applications using their preferred languages and tools.
- Manage with ease with automated installation, upgrades, and lifecycle management
- Continuous integration and release management by standardizing workflows
- Integrations with popular tools such as Jenkins
Flowfinity’s no-code platform enables teams to automate their build and release processes for their applications. Teams can do this through a built-in web portal and automatic database back-end.
Flowfinity encourages rapid application development through automation. Teams can build end-to-end workflow solutions quickly to help reduce deployment time and maintenance costs.
- Build business applications in the cloud
- Create end-to-end workflow solutions
- Automate data collection and workflows
JFrog’s Artifactory repository manager supports packages by any language or technology. The tool integrates with all major DevOps and CI/CD tools.
Artifactory’s end-to-end automation solution allows users to track their artifacts from development all the way to production. With continuous updates, Artifactory changes the way teams manage and release software.
- Automated integrations between tools to increase productivity and reduce maintenance efforts
- Manage, analyze, distribute, and scale binary artifacts
- Manage your workflows and extend its functionality
Nevercode’s platform is built for the development of mobile applications using CI/CD. Teams can use the tool to set up a new project for their iOS, Android, Ionic, React Native, and Cordova applications.
Nevercode completely automates the end-to-end process of the mobile application lifecycle. With automated configuration, setup, testing, and publishing, developers can turbocharge their build and release process to get applications out faster.
- Iterate configurations and setups with automatic project defaults
- Configure applications using pre-defined workflows
- Schedule builds to occur when your team wants them to
Codeship is a hosted CI/CD platform that automatically tests and deploys all changes in your platform. This enables teams to spend more time building better applications and less time on maintaining a CI server.
Codeship shortens the development cycles and reduces the risk of bugs for applications. The tool is a very flexible CI solution for businesses by allowing them to leverage the full power of Docker between their environments, CI systems, and production.
- Customizable infrastructure to fit business needs
- Automated build and testing to speed up software development
- Leverage full power of Docker to implement continuous integration
49. Ansible Tower
Ansible is a solution developed by Red Hat to help teams scale automation, speed up productivity, and manage complex deployments. Ansible enables teams to build a strong DevOps foundation.
Ansible’s dashboard enables teams to see what is going on int their environments. Teams can automate their entire infrastructure and receive status updates and see what’s next in their automation queue.
- Securely logged automation
- Workflows to model complex processes
- Real-time job status updates
PWSLab is a DevOps solution for mobile and web technologies. The tool automates and analyzes the delivery pipeline for your applications securely.
PWSLab streamlines complex operations to enable teams to deliver consistently and quickly. Teams can automate the entire development lifecycle and ever infrastructure interaction using the tool.
- Mobile and web application development
- Multiple integrations with existing tools
- Automated deployment management
Inedo DevOps tools maximize developer time, minimize release risk, and empower stakeholders to bring their vision to life faster. All with the people and technology you have right now. To get help streamlining your enterprise CI/CD processes, click here.