Best DevOps Automation Tools
by Marisa Vesel, on Jul 15, 2019 4:00:00 PM
In the last decade, DevOps practices have become much more commonplace in organizations around the world. With the rise in popularity, there has been a rise in DevOps automation tools to help businesses better implement these practices.
There are several benefits of DevOps automation tools including increasing collaboration and productivity in teams, earlier detection and fixes of various errors, bugs, and anomalies, easier and more reliable deployments of software, and more time spent on development and code are all reasons to adopt a DevOps mindset in the workplace.
We have compiled a comprehensive list of DevOps automation tools that help make all aspects of the software development lifecycle easier.
Ansible (@ansible) is a DevOps tool used for simple IT automation. Ansible automates cloud provisioning, configuration management, application deployment, intra-service orchestration, and more. The tool turns tough tasks into repeatable playbooks easy for anyone to use.
- Automates processes by integrating with tools you already use
- Abolishes repetitive tasks to allow teams to focus their attention on strategic work
- Automates processes to eliminate complexity, deploying apps and managing systems better
- Creates a culture of automation by breaking down silos and ensuring the whole team is involved
Bamboo (@Atlassian) is a DevOps automation tool from Atlassian. Bamboo offers continuous integration, deployment, and delivery. Bamboo integrates best with other Atlassian tools, such as Jira and Bitbucket.
- With support of 100 remote build agents, Bamboo is able to get feedback to developers quickly by running tests in parallel and keeping the queue flowing
- Triggers builds based on various variables including a previously created schedule, detected changes in the repository, or the completion of another build
- Offers full visibility into the build by tracking code changes to keep teams accountable
- Supports any language and other commonly used DevOps tools such as AWS CodeDeploy, Docker, and Amazon S3
- Automates the process of deploying new versions of an application to any number of machines
- Automates the auditing process of machines; including inspecting login logs, computing uptimes, and applying security patches
- Features a clean directory structure for easy rollback to a previous release
- Robust compliance solution, with billions of checks performed in production environments of all sizes
- Offers huge scalability potential, deploying model-based configuration changes across thousands of servers in just a few minutes
- Rapidly executes solutions in under one second; the fastest in the industry
- Boasts the best security record of any open source configuration solutions
- Chef Automate: a tool used to collaborate and automate the building, deployment, and managing of an application
- ChefInfra: a tool used to turn configuration of infrastructure into code; allowing you to manage as few or as many servers you need while saving time on repeatable and time-consuming tasks
- ChefInspec: a tool used to automate tests for compliance, security, and policy requirements to speed up the auditing process
- ChefHabitat: a tool that allows applications to be run at scale by automated the application lifecycle; packages, builds, deploys, and manages any app to any environment
- Provides automated code review comments on pull request in real-time to help prioritize necessary action
- Provides full visibility into team productivity in order to clearly see the impact of process changes
- Identifies frequently changed files that possess inadequate coverage and maintainability issues
- Detects the cause of bottlenecks in code review and identifies workload for team members
- Easily integrates into your current workflow and supports a variety of common programming languages including Ruby, Java, and PHP
- Easily integrates with over 250+ of the most common DevOps tools
- Gives full visibility into modern applications by monitoring, troubleshooting, and optimizing application performance
- Notifies you of performance problems on any metric and with any scale of impact
- Monitors the end-to-end user experience and provides visibility into all performance metrics
* Looking for how to integrate Docker with ProGet? It's right here.
- Builds, shares, and runs container-based applications
- Integrates with the top tools in the DevOps toolchain to easily become part of your existing processes
- Hosts the world’s largest container image library; Docker Hub
- Supports any programming language, operating system, or infrastructure
- Automates application scanning, signing, and policy enforcement
- Supports integrated development environments such as Android Studio, Eclipse, Idea, and NetBeans
- Allows for flexible build options with support for several scripting languages, deployment platforms, and mono/multi repositories
- Features several plug-in and integration capabilities to help better model, integrate, and systemize the delivery of software
- Offers more effective incident response times by immediate cyber-threat alerts and quick analyzation of data
- Makes maintaining compliance and completing internal audits a breeze with fast, interactive log analysis of data from all sources
- Makes performance and error data accessible to all authorized users by archiving information all in one place
- Provides visibility into entire workflow, from commit to deploy, to help easily locate and identify causes and effects of any issues
- Allows users to compare builds’ content to better help troubleshoot broken pipelines
- Allows the deployment of any successful version of the application at any time to increase the reliability of pushing a commit to production
- Offers cloud native to deployments to environments such as Kubernetes, Docker, and AWS
- Simple to use with an emphasis on code over configuration, following of node best practices, and a minimal API surface
- Provides fast builds without writing intermediary files to disk using the power of node streams
- Offers over 3,977 plugins that are enforced by strict guidelines to maintain simplicity and workability
Icinga (@icinga) is an open-source tool used for monitoring availability and performance of applications and hosts. The tool offers visibility by providing access to relevant data and notifying users of any alerts.
- Allows the customization of simple and user-friendly dashboards to give access to relevant data and elements
- Allows large-scale monitoring across your entire infrastructure; collected results are efficiently processed and stored
- Ensures safety and security of confidential data through SSL and permission-based access and roles
- Immediate notification of any issue that occurs; through any channel you want
- BuildMaster: Reduces release overhead by integrating CI/CD into your current tech stack
- ProGet: Packages applications and components to ensure software is only built once and then consistently deployed across environments; uncovers and remediates unknown vulnerabilities to keep you in compliance
- Otter: Provisions and configures your servers automatically to help manage configuration drift and remediate as needed
* Looking for how to integrate Jenkins with BuildMaster? It's right here.
Jenkins (@jenkinsci) is a popular open-source DevOps automation tool used for continuous integration and continuous delivery. Jenkins provides hundreds of plugins to assist in building, deploying, and automating your projects.
- Integrates with virtually any tool in the DevOps toolchain through plugin architecture
- Helps stimulate builds, tests, and deployments across numerous platforms by distributing work across multiple machines
- Supports both continuous integration and continuous delivery; through extensions there are countless possibilities for Jenkins capabilities
- A full hybrid solution; works on-premise or in the cloud-or a combination of both
- Speeds up development and supports end-to-end binary management by easily integrating with your entire existing DevOps toolbox
- Drives automation and ensures business continuity through powerful REST APIs; speeding up release times and automating pipelines
- Infinitely scalable as your business grows by offering a variety of storage solutions for your repositories
Juju is a deployment tool that simplifies how you configure, scale, and operate your cloud-based software.
- Deploys to any cloud-public or private on your own hardware
- Ability to link services together so whole batches of infrastructure can be deployed at once
- Resolves issues quickly by monitoring software 24/7, providing alerts for any issues, and collecting detailed logs
* Looking for how to integrate Kubernetes with ProGet? It's right here.
- Infinite scaling capabilities and flexibly grows with you to reliably and consistently deliver even the most complex applications
- Automatically conducts rollbacks to a previously successful release if something goes wrong during deployment
- Full self-healing capabilities to ensure containers aren’t advertised until they are ready to go; restarting containers that failing, terminates containers that fail user-defined health checks, and replaces and reschedules containers when nodes die
- Automatically acts to resolve errors in applications
- Monitors daemon processes and sends alerts when needed
- Test and monitors network connections to various servers to ensure high-quality performance
- Easily monitors availability, uptime, response time, and connections of your network and creates visual reports to identify problems
- Flexible server monitor using a combination of agent-based and agentless monitoring tactics
- Eliminates application downtime by quickly detecting and alerting of any application, service, or process problems
- Comprehensively tracks changes across all technologies, no matter the environment
- Allows visibility into all entities to easily track and identify relationships, issues, and anomalies while discovering root causes
- Helps teams work smarter and faster by connecting the dots between data sources and getting everyone on the same page for better, high-quality software delivery
- Complements your current continuous integration solution by integrating with the top CI tools
- Allows user-permissions; controlling who can deploy to production while keeping an audit archive
- Ensures deployments are consistent between environments by creating repeatable and reliable deployments from binaries
- Multi-tenant deployments creates a uniform application distribution to all users
- Scores and detects new issues and regressions throughout releases and pipelines; allows you to easily identify and mark builds as unstable and prevent the promotion of bad code
- Proactively detects when deployments will result in an anomaly
- Shows complete picture of code at the time of the error to better identify what went wrong
- Monitors who coded errors and routes irregularities immediately to the right persons for fixing
PagerDuty (@pagerduty) is a DevOps tool used to help businesses boost their brand reputation. In real-time, PagerDuty helps organizations transform signals into opportunities in order to deliver superior customer experiences, increase productivity, and fast-track innovation.
- Offers 300+ integrations with other popular DevOps tools including AWS, Atlassian, and Puppet
- Automates responses for any impact level; informs stakeholders with real-time status updates
- Prioritizes responses based on the immediate business impact of incidents
- Provides in-depth analysis including industry benchmarks, prescriptive dashboards, and self-service analytics
Parasoft (@Parasoft) is a set of DevOps tools used to create high quality software tools by automating software testing. Their tools are easy to use, adopt, and scale to help you achieve software automation at a higher level than your competition.
- Offers a variety of development and functional testing solutions to reduce time and effort of delivering high-quality software
- Automates testing so developers can spend more time focusing on innovation and new features
- Targeted and organized testing reduces downtime and minimizes inefficiencies
- Guarantees high product quality by removing defects early on in the process and providing access to realistic test environments
- Offers in-depth and dimensional data models; both visual and raw data
- Creates ad-hoc graphs, tables, and alerts by allowing for the slicing and dicing of collected time series data
- Integrates third-party data into the tool in order to analyze and visual the data
- Efficiently and independently stores server data in local storage disks, supports scaling
- Automates the building and deployment of applications to help decrease the complexity of software development and IT
- Acts as a host for all container images and offers full visibility and control into the container lifecycle
- Simplifies infrastructure management by automating the testing, deployment, and management of infrastructure code at scale
- Identifies, diagnoses, and resolves issues in the user experience and immediately identifies the root cause of the anomaly
- Works with tools you already use to give users end-to-end visibility into the entire tech slack
- Gives real-user monitoring and insights by retracing customer’s journey to pinpoint where something went wrong
- Emphasizes security and compliance by automating the process of scanning systems, detecting issues, and resolving issues
- Easily scalable to manage your IT environment-no matter the size or complexity
- Detects and identifies vulnerable system issues and changes in configuration; automatically enforces desired state
- Gives real-time visibility and instant alerts to your data; helping you analyze performance faster
- Integrates easily into existing workflow to help you observe your software in real-time and quickly resolves issues that arise
- Capable of monitoring and troubleshooting Kubernetes environments
Snort (@snort) is an open-source DevOps tool used to detect and prevent intruders. The tool offers real-time traffic analysis and packet logging.
- Detects attacks by marking packets for easy and quick analysis
- Delivers real-time analysis of events and offers packet logging
- Supports deployment on any network environment
- Runs on several operating systems including Windows, Linux, Mac OS
- Gathers insight from machine data to help you gain a more in-depth look into use-cases to help leverage your company’s strengths
- Uses machine learning AI to make predicative recommendations for action.
- Provides visibility and insights in real-time and provides critical alerts when necessary
- Collects and gathers insights in data from multiple sources and formats
- Helps companies proactively monitor their data and applications and troubleshoot issues in real-time
- Ensures compliance through Sumo Logic Security Analytics and quickly identifies and acts on threats
- Empowers businesses to make data-driven decisions by gathering and analyzing existing data creating predictions
Supervisor is monitoring system that helps control processes on Unix-like operating systems. It emphasizes convenience, accuracy, and delegation.
- Emphasizes simplicity through configuration of an easy-to learn INI-style config file
- Centralizes processes by providing one location for starting, stopping, and monitoring your processes
- Written in Python and supports nearly every platform with the exception of Windows
Testsigma (@testsigmainc) is an Agile & DevOps automation tool used for continuous testing and continuous delivery in the cloud. Through a shift-left approach, integrations with other CI/Cd tools, and fast feedback, the delivery of web & mobile applications is accelerated.
- Runs test on multiple different browsers, operating systems, and devices to help automate web, mobile, and web-services testing
- Allows dashboards and reports to be customized and organized so the most important information becomes a priority
- Creates and increases reusable and maintainable tests through Step Groups and Centralized Object repositories
- Provides one platform to help increase collaboration between manual and automated team members; allows more participants to be added to scale
- Provides visibility and insights into the results of tests
- Complements and integrates with the top DevOps and Agile tools that you’re already using to prioritize and execute tests across your applications, roles, and teams
- Uses model-based test automation to increase the reusability and maintainability of tests
- Detects the risks and recommends the most effective tests using a risk-based test design
UpGuard (@UpGuard) provides a suite of three tools used to help organizations gain better visibility into their technology. Their products help businesses take control of cyber risk by better protecting data and preventing breaches.
- VendorRisk automatically monitors, rates, and sends targeted security questionnaires to vendors to control third-party risk and improve cyber security posture
- BreachSight monitors and scans for compromised or exposed data and tracks breach from beginning to end, with automated workflows and a comprehensive audit trail
- Core provides instant visibility into your IT infrastructure to help automate compliance and scale reliably
- Works across multiple platforms to encourage users to continue to use their favorite editors and programs
- Mirrors production environments to help enforce consistency during the development lifecycle and identify and fix bugs before being sent to production
- Provides an identical and easy workflow across roles and leverages a declarative configuration file that contains all development information
* Looking for how to integrate WhiteSource with ProGet? It's right here.
WhiteSource Bolt (@WhiteSourceSoft) is a free and open-source tool used to find and fix open-source security vulnerabilities. WhiteSource Bolt offers the largest vulnerabilities database, comprehensive coverage with support for over 200 different languages, algorithms to ensure no false positives, and easy remediation by providing validated crowdsourcing fixes.
- Support for over 200 programming languages-including containers
- Capable of scanning an unlimited number of private repositories; offering up to 5 scans per day
- Automates approval and tracking processes and enforces policies automatically throughout all stages of the Software Development Life Cycle
- Quickly resolves issues through validated crowdsourcing fixes
- Tracks several open-source vulnerabilities including the NVD & other security advisories
There are many tools that can help businesses automate their development processes. Use a tool that you think should be added to the list? Feel free to contact us, and we will look into adding the tool! We want to make sure this list is as comprehensive and up to date as possible.
Founded in 2007 by Alex Papadimoulis, Inedo is the creator of DevOps products such as ProGet, BuildMaster, and Otter. Inedo DevOps tools maximize developer time, minimize release risk, and empower stakeholders to bring their vision to life faster. All with the people and technology you have right now. To get help steamlining your CI/CD process, contact email@example.com.