Best Tools to Support Kubernetes Cloud-Native Applications
by Marisa Vesel, on Oct 31, 2019 10:00:00 AM
Cloud-native applications, such as Kubernetes, were created to provide automation and observability needed to manage applications at scale and high velocity. This helps organizations safely deploy critical applications multiple times a day.
There are several tools that have been created under the Cloud Native Computing Foundation. These projects allow IT and software to move faster, allowing companies to create software in-house.
When these tools are used alongside Kubernetes, they can increase the capabilities and act as load-balancers or management systems.
Prometheus is an open-source and community-driven monitoring solution to help organizations power their metrics and gain critical insights. Prometheus is a Cloud Native Computing Foundation graduated project.
Since Prometheus does not include configuration management functionality, organizations are able to integrate it with existing system or build on top of it.
With the Prometheus Operator, Prometheus can be managed on top of Kubernetes. Additionally, Kubernetes is also a third-party software that can expose metrics in Prometheus format, requiring new, separate exporters.
- Provides multiple modes of graphing and dashboarding support
- Features a multi-dimensional data model with time series data identified by metric name and key/value pairs
- Offers autonomous single server nodes so there is no reliance on distributed storage
Envoy Proxy is an open-source, high-performance C++ distributed proxy designed for single services and applications. Envoy also works with microservice “service mesh” architectures as a communications tool and “universal data plane.”
- Runs alongside any application language or framework as a self-contained, high performance server
- Supports advanced load-balancing features including automatic retries, global rate limiting, and zone local load balancing
- Dynamically manages configuration through robust APIs
CoreDNS is an open-source DNS server written in Go. With Kubernetes, CoreDNS can run in place of the standard Kube-DNS. Utilizing the Kubernetes plug-in, CoreDNS will read zone data from a Kubernetes cluster.
- Offers a fast and flexible DNS using its wide range of plugins
- Offers a vibrant community on GitHub and Slack
- Strives to be a simple-to-use tool with sane defaults
Containerd is an industry-standard container runtime that is available as a daemon for Linux and Windows.
- Manages the complete lifecycle of its host systems
- Multi-tenant support with CAS storage for global images
- Network primitives for creation, modification, and deletion of interfaces
Safely and Quickly Deploy Kubernetes Cloud-Native Applications
Inedo DevOps tools maximize developer time, minimize release risk, and empower stakeholders to bring their vision to life faster. All with the people and technology you have right now. To get help streamlining your CI/CD processes, contact mgoulis.inedo.com