15 Best IT Monitoring Tools and Software
by Olivia Glenn-Han, on Oct 4, 2019 1:15:00 PM
Customers and clients do not tolerate security breaches. At the same time, IT infrastructures grow every day. Their increasing complexity requires regular health checks that will find problems before they negatively impact business operations.
In this environment, IT monitoring automation tools are essential. Automated monitoring decreases the lag time between problem and discovery, and speeds remediation. In some cases, systems can even be setup to fix problems without any human intervention at all.
To help you make the right choice for your company, we’ve assembled a list of the 15 best IT monitoring tools and software on the market right now.
ConnectWise Automate (previously LabTech)
- Automated patching saves time and avoids human errors
- “Network Probe Technology” (their discovery function) works across physical and virtual machines, so reports and health checks for both are visible through one program
- Offers both out-of-the-box and customizable monitors so your department can be as hands-off or as involved as necessary
- Clear dashboard and remote use function mean team members can each work in their most productive manner
Datadog monitors apps and stacks across environments and is frequently updated.
- Integration with popular tools and programs like Slack and Docker puts all the things you use in one place
- Scalable, so you can keep using it as your company grows
- Uses machine learning to detect problems more effectively automatically
- Filter function on data lets you see only what you need to see
LogicMonitor offers monitoring templates and frequently expands to include new features that increase its functionality.
- Customizable, scalable dashboards allow flexibility and growth
- “Topology mapping” provides an easy-to-see set of connections among resources
- Alert thresholds and routing direct threat alerts to the right people fast
- Reports can vary in formatting and content for different uses
ManageEngine OpManager offers end-to-end monitoring for both virtual and physical servers.
- Real-time metrics let you respond quickly to bottlenecks
- Multiple “thresholds” for violations add even more security to critical monitoring
- Each user can customize their own dashboard to suit their preferences
- Operates with both Windows and Linux
Nagios XI is a centralized monitoring program with lots of features, but it only runs on CentOS or Redhat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), Ubuntu, or Debian.
- Highly customizable, so customers and staff can set Nagios XI up to their preferences
- Integrates with third-party apps and programs
- Gating available to reduce who can delegate permissions and who can view certain information
- Outage alerts can be pushed to cell phones for instant notification of service disruption
New Relic’s OS-level monitoring is fast and searchable, and they offer a free trial.
- Individual users can group information using “Filter Sets,” according to need and preference
- Searchable “inventory” makes finding packages etc. fast and easy
- Works with tools like Ansible and Puppet
- Metrics run in real-time so you can quickly see if a change has hurt your system
Inedo’s Otter offers server provisioning to reduce configuration drift and downtime, making monitoring easier.
- Clear logs make reporting for auditing and compliance straightforward
- Automatically detects configuration drift and can be set to automatically remediate drift, saving time and reducing problems down the road
- “OtterScript” language can be used in text or visual mode, so each team member can work in the way they are most comfortable
- Scalable functionality means you can use it no matter your company’s size
PRTG Network Monitor
PRTG Network Monitor is an all-in-one program for infrastructure monitoring. It is quick to install, and its clear, fast alerts help you quickly resolve problems.
- Monitors both up-time and downtime to give you a clear picture of your IT systems
- Scalable functionality makes it useful for big companies and small
- Reports can have as much or as little detail as needed for a given person or issue
- “Packet Sniffing” function monitors all sources of traffic with one device, consolidating data in a single tool
Pulseway is an RMM with an available free trial and with solutions available for managed service providers, on-prem IT departments, and individual use.
- Quick deployment and easy use mean Pulseway starts monitoring your systems immediately
- Patch Management feature allows automatic patching, saving time and avoiding human error
- Functional across Windows, MAC, and Linux, so everyone on your team can use their OS of choice
- Pulseway app available across multiple devices, letting you monitor your systems from any location and any device at any time
ScienceLogic focuses on “context,” giving the right data at the right time to “improve mean time to repair (MTTR).”
- Clear mapping helps you find and accommodate dependencies across the board
- Real-time data integration allows real-time fixes
- Easy-to-integrate platform of tools available as downloadable apps to save you time
- Event management program automatically runs correlations to reduce the number of false events
Spiceworks Network Monitor
Spiceworks Network Monitor offers free tools and free support for network management and has a clean interface and straightforward functionality.
- Scalable and flexible for use at any size company for any needs
- Easy install and quick usability put Spiceworks to work for you immediately
- Real-time reports and alerts let you handle problems and threats fast
- Integrated dashboard gathers all information in one place
SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor (NPM)
SolarWinds NPM is SolarWinds’s network troubleshooter. NPM is easy to use, can be used across physical, cloud-based, or mixed businesses.
- Historical and real-time reports available, so you can choose what information you need, rather than sifting through tons of data
- Advanced troubleshooting for quickly resolving network issues means less downtime
- Easily scalable to any size organization
- Configurable for trigger conditions and alerts to quickly respond to issues or threats
SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor (SAM)
SolarWinds SAM is functional for both Windows and Linux and can monitor applications and servers both on-prem and in the cloud.
- “Single pane of glass” integrated monitoring interface puts everything you need in one place
- Easy-to-configure error alerts means SolarWinds SAM begins working for you immediately
- Highly customizable dashboards let each user engage with the system in the way that best suits
- Clear dependency mapping shows interactions between all your different programs, so no more accidental breaks due to dependencies
WhatsUp Gold by ipswitch is a paid monitoring program with available free trials that automatically migrates from its previous version (v16.5) and adds new functionality, like virtual monitoring at-a-glance.
- Programmable for IFTTT, allowing you to program automatically triggered actions when WhatsUp detects problems
- Integrates with Slack for ease of communication between developers
- Highly customizable dashboards and maps let you set up your dashboard how you like it
- Identifies “suspicious traffic,” adding another layer of protection to monitoring your flows
Zabbix is an enterprise-ready, all-in-one monitoring software. It is a completely open-source software, available for free, and Zabbix Cloud is now available in beta.
- Notifications when problems occur allow you to catch problems quickly, or you can simplify things even more with auto-remediate
- “Single pane of glass” visualization gives a clear representation of your systems, presenting everything in a visually appealing and clear single dashboard
- Monitor dynamic environments of any size, so it can grow with you
- Gather metrics from multiple platforms, which lets you compare indicators of success from multiple sources with less work
Ready to increase monitoring but with less effort from your IT staff? Inedo DevOps tools maximize developer time, minimize release risk, and empower stakeholders to bring their vision to life faster. All with the people and technology you have right now. To get help streamlining your CI/CD processes, contact email@example.com.